Friday, August 9, 2019

categories

Money, economy – these are human constructs that at any time
we can choose to define differently.
 
 
 
Murder seems to be turning from a predominately
retail to a predominantly wholesale enterprise.
 
 
 
The salient characteristic of humanity
is hate --
for ourselves,
for our others,
for our world,
for reality.
 
 
 
People need accurate information
to make life choices based on
what their choices actually are.
 
 
We did not agree to or
in any sense condone
hateful insurgency.
You hatemonging cults might find
you comprise a very small minority
even of those you designate as “white”.
We know it’s not about color (or “tribes”)
but angry divisiveness.  If you think
you can encourage us to hate each other,
know that if we think you are making us
look bad, we will rise up against you,
prove your insignificance.
 
 
 
All these mea culpas, as if meaningful
-- guilt, shame
bleed out our energy into escapist
pity parties.  To create useful change,
join with imagination.
 
 
 
Ideology no longer necessary --
everybody gets that bare force of
postmodern power.
 
 
 
All that knowledge
lost to flood and flame.
Would we do as well
if we start again?
What within our core
desires to die?
Those who might survive
could leave behind.
 
 
 
It’s not that solving problems is hard.
It’s that it takes focused effort.
But then, doesn’t any goal-oriented task?
 
 
 
Offer benign audience --
people need to be seen and heard.
 
 
 
Caught in dependence on outside validation
Long experience creates realization --
bestowing value, joyful welcome,
is yet another gift of love
from me to me.
 
 
 
“Consider the source,” we say
speaking of people who stupidly choose
to act cruelly.
You are that source, if you embrace evil
mythologies to excuse inexcusable behavior.
 
 
 
I might be neuro-atypical.
For instance, even after all these year,
I don’t get the fictional categories people use
to self-divide.
I have simple criteria --
how you treat me.
I find four kinds of people:
those who treat me well
those who treat me badly
those who do both
that vast majority of folks who do neither --
because they have no idea I exist.
 
 
 
Get angry
Use that energy
but not blindly
Get angry, but also,
get wise.
 
 
 
Raised by fiction --
imprinted on role models from novels --
confusing when real people don’t behave
as expected, respond with bullying sneers
and rage instead of friendship.
Confounded by willful stupidity,
mind’s that find conformity less oppressive
than thought.
I lack time or energy to be concerned with what you do,
to the extent that it does not directly affect (concern) me.
I am too busy with what I do, which seems to involve
words, art, communication, theories, adventurous ideas,
theater of imagination.
 
 
First, do no harm to meaningful self-expression.
This fundamental tenet of my political beliefs,
in light of real world experience,
I may decide to more deeply ponder.
 
 
 
It’s no matter of “belief” --
I realistically fear the climate crisis we
currently experience and the lack of appropriate
adaptation – what I was taught we meant to be
the superpower of humanity.
 
 
 
Quiet   Contemplative  Creative
Figuring out who I am, now
that I’m not who I was.
 
 
 

8/4-9/19

No comments: