Saturday, September 12, 2009

20 minutes into the future

Fox New commentator Monica Crowley's remark (as reported from Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, 9/2/09) got me thinking. I miss Max Headroom. I miss my dose of "20 minutes into the future" surreal media wars logical extension of the scary here and now. I really miss Max, the lovable trickster archetype, doppelganger for oh so heroic reporter Edison Carter, always ready with a sunny reminder of the lunacy of it all. I even miss Network 23, no doubt not so different from our real corporations where the overlord of profit is always interfering with the more noble motives of conflicted people trying to get a job done. I like the stark sharp edges of Max's world, the high adrenaline high stakes adventure, and mostly the ironic humor. Don't get me wrong, Buffy, the Vampire Slayer is by far my all time most missed and beloved tv series. Hey, what about a world, 20 minutes into the future, where Buffy and Max each do their part to enlighten us.


Mercury Trickster
lithely larfing pixels and waves
Happy adventure
creating mayhem silly and brave
wandering worlds, leaping between
with the flick of a dial
bringing a soul feeding smile
to the lips of a beaten down child
slyly ass-kicking evil demeanors
dancing outside the scene
to quicksilver change
flickering out of range
of censor or brute
soldier or suit
to give 'em the boot
when their attention is taken
up in their infernal machine
Immortal mixer
in our mundane affairs
playing at musical chairs
or the game of the day
unattached to our daily cares
merry and gay
spreading that sunny moonshine
then dancing away

September 12, 2009

No comments: